07/23 Replace beneath. This put up was initially printed on July 16
Apple iOS 13.6 is right here and it’s a giant deal, bringing thrilling new options and numerous vital fixes. However does it break greater than it fixes and must you improve? The indicators look good.
Tip: bookmark this web page as a result of I’ll preserve it updated if/when new issues are discovered. I’ll ship my last verdict in every week.
07/23 Closing Verdict: one week on, regardless of some remoted reviews of battery drain and connectivity issues (mobile/WiFi), the overwhelming majority of upgraders have had no issues. This makes iOS 13.6 an excellent improve possibility for anybody who has been ready for a steady iOS 13 launch.
Who Is It For?
iOS 13.6 is obtainable for each iOS 13-compatible machine. This implies the iPhone 6S and newer and the seventh era iPod contact. You ought to be prompted to improve mechanically however, if not, you’ll be able to set off the replace manually by navigating to Settings > Normal > Software program Replace. Beta testers, if you’re working iOS 14 (extra about this in ‘The Highway Forward’ part on the finish), you could unenroll your iPhone in any other case iOS 13.6 won’t present up. iPad homeowners, Apple has moved you to iPadOS. This isn’t an iPadOS-focused information, however I’ll contact upon pertinent points in these guides.
07/18 Replace: some deceptive reviews are at present circulating that iOS 13.6 brings FaceTime to the UAE. Such a improvement could be large information for the area, with the UAE blocking main providers like FaceTime and WhatsApp although right here have been indicators of progress just lately after Skype for Enterprise and Google Hangouts bans had been lifted in June. Sadly, nonetheless, the reviews are incorrect. FaceTime will work when you have an Apple US ID and alter your iPhone’s areas to the US, however this can be a hack. The official block has not been lifted and this workaround shouldn’t be linked to something in iOS 13.6. Given the UAE’s current modifications, maybe a waiver will likely be happen sooner reasonably than later, however this isn’t it.
07/19 Replace: a number of extra iOS 13.6 bugs are beginning to seem as extra iPhone customers improve. These embrace lock-ups, issues with notifications and rising reviews of battery drain (1,2,3,4,5 and so on). That mentioned, whereas these points are vital to notice, they’re nonetheless pretty remoted circumstances and iOS upgrades may cause elevated battery drain whereas your iPhone re-indexes. Regardless of this, I’ll keep watch over these points in addition to any additional bugs that emerge and ship my last improve verdict one week after launch. Because it stands, nonetheless, I’d nonetheless suggest anybody eager to improve to iOS 13.6 accomplish that as a result of the mixture of latest options and important safety fixes (particulars beneath) is value it.
The Deal Breakers
Jailbreakers, you will want to keep away from iOS 13.6. Unc0ver, the spectacular jailbreaking device which has damaged most up-to-date iOS 13 releases, has but to announce a jailbreak for this replace. That mentioned, I think you received’t have to attend lengthy.
For everybody else, 24 hours after launch issues look very promising. Whereas there are remoted circumstances of minor graphical glitches and reliability points with Face ID, total, complaints are skinny on the bottom – even on Reddit. Moreover, whereas it’s not listed among the many fixes (extra within the subsequent part), complaints have stopped concerning the critical battery drain drawback brought on by Apple Music, so a repair seems to have snuck in underneath the radar.
So What Do You Get?
Apple’s official iOS 13.6 launch notes present the next description and key options:
“iOS 13.6 provides help for digital automobile keys, introduces audio tales in Apple Information+, and comprises a brand new signs class within the Well being app. This launch additionally contains bug fixes and enhancements.”
Digital automobile keys
- Unlock, lock, and begin your suitable automobile together with your iPhone
- Securely take away digital keys from a misplaced machine by way of iCloud
- Share digital keys simply with iMessage
- Driver-specific profiles so you’ll be able to configure shared keys for full-access or restricted driving
- Energy reserve allows you to unlock and begin your automobile for as much as 5 hours after iPhone runs out of battery
- Audio tales are professionally narrated variations of a number of the finest reads from Apple Information+, chosen and produced by the Apple Information editors as a part of your Apple Information+ subscription
- Apple Information At present is a brand new, free audio briefing on the day’s prime tales from the Apple Information editors, additionally accessible within the Podcasts app
- A brand new Audio tab makes it straightforward to search out Apple Information At present and Apple
Information+ audio tales
- CarPlay permits you to take heed to Apple Information At present and Apple Information+ audio tales whereas on the highway
- Native information in your At present feed supplies in depth protection of San Francisco, the Bay Space, Los Angeles, Houston, and New York Metropolis
- Extra tales accessible from native information suppliers with a subscription to Apple Information+
- Your each day e-newsletter from Apple Information can now be personalised with tales that replicate your pursuits
- New class for signs within the Well being app, together with signs logged from Cycle Monitoring and ECG
- Means to log new signs, like fever, chills, sore throat or coughing, and share them with third-party apps
The massive information right here is CarKey, Apple’s probably game-changing new characteristic which permits your iPhone to work as a digital key for suitable third get together vehicles. BMW is the primary producer to supply suitable fashions, however count on help to develop rapidly together with third get together equipment to carry the characteristic to older vehicles.
In line with Apple’s official safety web page, iOS 13.6 additionally brings a minimum of 26 safety fixes and patches a variety of bugs, together with iCloud sync points, knowledge roaming issues on eSim, audio break up with WiFi calling and compatibility points with third get together bodily keyboards.
Apple iOS 13.6 Verdict: Jailbreakers Ignore, Everybody Else Improve
Traditionally, iOS releases grow to be extra steady in direction of the tip of every era and, following iOS 13’s myriad of launch issues, I’m comfortable to say this lastly appears to be the case with iOS 13.6. As at all times, cautious upgraders ought to permit extra time for bugs to disclose themselves, however these eager to leap on the most recent replace ought to really feel assured in doing so.
I’ll proceed to watch reviews because the variety of iOS 13.6 upgraders develop and ship my last verdict in every week.
The Highway Forward
Apple has launched the primary public beta of iOS 14 and it’s Apple’s most formidable generational improve in years. iOS 14 lastly brings main modifications to the house display with help for widgets, an app drawer (aka ‘App Library’), compact Name and Siri notifications, picture-in-picture video, an overhaul of Messages, new biking routes in Maps, superior language translation and rather more.
Granted, the overwhelming majority of those additions are catch-up options to Android however that’s no dangerous factor. Apple has been good to remove these (lengthy working) variations whereas it may possibly additionally lean on its class main updates and longevity of machine help. If Apple can easy out the bugs in beta, iOS 14 could possibly be a breakout launch.
Observe Gordon on Fb
Extra On Forbes
Apple’s iPhone 12 Redesign Revealed In Putting Renders
Apple Cuts iPhone Commerce-In Costs — Once more