7 Effective Home Remedies for Dry Lips in Winter
It can be very uncomfortable to experience dry lips, particularly in winter. When you are dehydrated, it is likely to cause your lips to become dry and chapped. Adequate intake of water keep you hydrated, making it a vital part of your beauty routine. Inasmuch as there are several home remedies for dry lips in winter, none of these remedies surpasses water consumption.
READ ALSO: 8 Best Home Remedies for Dry Mouth
So, drink lots of water during the day and use the effective home remedies for dry lips listed below. Most people use lip balm to treat dry lips, but this offers a fleeting relief. However, the home remedies for dry lips in winter discussed below are effective and comes with long-term results.
Causes of Dry Lips
Dry lips can be caused by several factors, including environmental and personal habits. Some causes of dry lips include:
1. Environmental factors
- Cold weather like winter
- Sun damage
- Dry weather
- Wind exposure
2. Personal habits
- Tobacco smoking
- Excessive intake of alcohol
- Excessive licking of lips
- Certain drugs
- Skin irritants in toothpaste
7 Home Remedies for Dry Lips in winter
1. Honey and Vaseline
Honey contains antibacterial and healing properties. Vaseline helps to keep the skin soft and nourished, hence preventing your lips from drying. The combination of honey and Vaseline is one of the effective home remedies for dry lips in winter.
- Raw honey
How to prepare
- First apply a layer of honey on your lips.
- Then apply a layer of Vaseline on top the layer of honey.
- Allow to remain for about 20 minutes.
- Clean off using a damp tissue or a damp cloth.
- Repeat once daily for about a week
2. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is one of the best home remedies for dry lips in winter. Cocoa butter and shea butter are rich in essential fatty acids that help to provide deep nourishment and protection for dry lips and skin.
- Organic cocoa butter or shea butter
How to use
- Simply apply a small amount of cocoa butter or shea butter on your lips and leave it on overnight.
- Repeat this every night until you see improvement.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains natural cohesive properties that bind flaking cells, leaving your skin soft and smooth. This property of aloe vera makes it among the best home remedies for dry lips in winter. Aloe vera It soothes your skin and eliminates dead skin cells gently.
READ ALSO: How to Prepare Mouthwash at Home (Homemade Mouthwash for Gingivitis, Cavities, and Bad Breath)
- An aloe vera leaf
How to use
- Slice the aloe vera leaf, extract the gel and place it in an airtight container.
- Apply the gel on your lips
- Allow it to remain overnight.
- Store the remaining gel in the airtight container or in a fridge.
4. Coconut Oil or Castor oil
Coconut oil or castor oil are among the effective home remedies for dry, cracked lips in winter. These carrier oils are effective natural moisturizers and lubricants that contain healthy fatty acids which help to keep your lips properly hydrated and soft.
Apart from coconut oil and castor oil, you can also use jojoba oil, almond oil, and olive oil.
- Virgin coconut oil OR castor oil
- 1-2 drops tea tree oil OR grapeseed oil OR neem oil
How to use
- Mix two drops of coconut oil or castor oil to 1 drop of carrier oil.
- Apply this mixture on your lips and allow it to remain on overnight.
- Repeat twice or thrice daily and before bed.
READ ALSO: Does Smoking Affect Your Skin Complexion?
Sugar is coarse in texture, making it among the perfect home remedies for dry, chapped lips in winter. The use of sugar on lips helps to exfoliate chapped lips, leaving your skin smooth and soft.
Scrubbing your lips with sugar is effective for eliminating the top layer of dry and flaky skin on lips.
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (or white sugar)
- A few drops of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
How to use
- Combine sugar with the olive oil and honey and immediately apply mixture on your lips without allowing the sugar to liquefy.
- Scrub your lips gently in circular motions.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat twice weekly
The use of beeswax is also one of the effective home remedies for dry lips in winter. Beeswax contains hydrocarbons and free fatty acids. Beeswax enhances skin cell turnover and it is potent in getting rid of the dead skin on dry lips to give you soft and smooth lips.
- A lip product containing beeswax
How to use
- Purchase a product, such as a lip balm or a lip oil, containing beeswax.
- Apply the lip balm or oil to your lips and massage it in for a few seconds.
- Apply several times a day.
The use of cucumber is effective for treating chapped, dry lips. Cucumber is an superb hydrating agent for the skin that helps to nourish and relieve the effect on the skin.
- A cucumber slice
How to use
- Get the slice of cucumber and rub it gently on your lips for a minute or two.
- Allow the cucumber juice to remain for 10 minutes
- Rinse off lips
- Alternatively, you can mash a slice of cucumber and apply mask on your lips.
- Repeat it once or twice every day.