Some of the best home remedies for heartburn can help in easing discomfort. Heartburn, also called gastro-oesophagal reflux disease (GERD) occurs when the food that is just swallowed comes back along the esophagus. It returns with pancreatic juices and other bilious material, leading to burning sensation on the inner lining of the esophagus.
READ ALSO: 10 Home Remedies for Stomach Bug
However, there are several effective home remedies for acid reflux.
Causes of Heartburn
- Overindulging or overeating and lying down immediately after eating
- Eating certain foods such as tomatoes, citrus fruits, and others
- Drinking alcohol, beer, and carbonated drinks, coffee or tea
- Being obese or overweight
- Eating heavily just before bedtime
Symptoms of Heartburn
- Burning sensation in the chest or abdomen
- Frequent vomiting and burping
- Food being forced back up the esophagus (Regurgitation)
- Frequent burping and vomiting
- Narrowing of the food pipe (Disphagia)
- Black colored, or bloody stools
When to see a doctor
Consult your doctor immediately if you experience difficulty in swallowing food, or if the burning sensation gets worse. If you are still experiencing nausea and vomiting, see your doctor.
Best Home Remedies For Heartburn
Aloe Vera Juice
Apart from its external use, aloe vera is also effective at treating several internal issues. This is because it contains anti-inflammatory properties which has a soothing effect on the inner linings of the stomach and can neutralize the acidic effect of the gastric juices that are secreted during the process of digestion.
- Cut two thick leaves of fresh Aloe Vera and scrape the gel into a mixer- blender.
- Juice the gel and drink it after a meal.
- You can also buy Aloe Vera juice from health stores if the plant isn’t readily available.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for heartburn. It is active in curing many conditions and diseases, making it one of the best home remedies for acid reflux. Apple cider vinegar has a soothing effect on the stomach, acts as a digestive aid and balances the acid content in the gastric juices secreted during the digestive process.
- Get a glass of warm water and mix two teaspoons of pure apple cider vinegar.
- Add a teaspoon of pure, organic honey.
- Drink it half an hour before eating your meal.
- Repeat the process daily for a week or 10 days, or until symptoms stops.
Licorice root powder helps cure several gastrointestinal illnesses. It has a soothing effect on the mucous lining in the stomach and protects the inner linings of the stomach from the acidic effect of the digestive juices secreted in the stomach. It is good for reducing the gastric inflammation caused by acid reflux and helps cure the condition fast.
- Boil one teaspoon of Licorice powder in a cup of water and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink while it is warm.
- Drink it twice a day for a week or until symptoms disappear.
Basil leaves Tea
Basil leaves contains a plethora of curative properties. It helps cure chronic cough and prevent bronchitis. It helps to increase the mucous production in the stomach to form a protecting lining for the inner walls.
- Boil a handful of fresh basil leaves in two glasses of water.
- Allow it to steep until the brew turns reddish brown.
- Strain and drink while hot.
- Drink it twice daily for a month or until symptoms stop.
Ginger and Chamomile Tea
Ginger helps cure indigestion and other stomach ailments, making them among the best home remedies for heartburn. It is a great antioxidant and contains anti-inflammatory properties. Chamomile powder also has anti-inflammatory properties too. They both have a soothing effect on the inner lining of the stomach.
- Wash a finger of fresh ginger, peel and chop to fine pieces.
- Pour a glass of water into a pan, add a teaspoon of Chamomile Powder and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add the diced ginger into the mixture.
- Allow it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink twice daily.
- Continue the process for a week.
Yellow Mustard Powder
Yellow mustard powder is another potent home remedy for helping cure heartburn. It helps to neutralize the digestive acids secreted in the stomach when consumed orally. The vinegar content found in mustard powder is actually a weak acid that helps lower the pH levels in the stomach.
- Take 100 gm of mustard seeds and blend it to powdery form.
- Store it in an air-tight bottle.
- Mix one teaspoon of mustard powder in a cup of warm water.
- Drink it twice daily for a week or so.
Fennel Seeds Tea
Fennel seeds helps cure spasms in the stomach. It is also good for treating colitis and is also helps digest the ingested food. Fennel contains a compound called anethole, which has an anti-inflammatory effect and helps soothe the stomach.
- Boil one teaspoon of fresh fennel seeds in a glass of water.
- Allow it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add one teaspoon of pure organic honey.
- Drink while warm.
- Repeat the process once daily for a week or until symptoms recede
Disclaimer: The content provided on healthdiary365.com is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be interpreted as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical doctor or healthcare professional.